Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Please don't correct my grammar!!

Welcome new readers.

I must admit I'm a bit shy about people reading my postings.  I like to write about random thoughts and events in my life.  I always fancied myself as a bit of a writer.  However,  I never did well at spelling and grammar.

My dad kept a journal throughout his whole life.  His writings were concise.  He would give me a journal every year and I wrote daily.  It was highly personal. My mother read my journal one day and our relationship was never the same after that. I got in a huge amount of trouble for what I wrote.   I never kept a daily journal after that.

I also wrote newsy letters as a teenager.  I would send them to my friends and family.  Once I sent a letter to my brother.  I have a family of academics and he was at Marquette working on his masters in Medieval Literature.  He sent back my letter marked in red pencil with all my grammatical errors corrected.  He said I wrote in cliches.  I never wrote to him again.

Some time later, I was an instructor for a college in St. Louis.  It was a small seminar class in a masters program.  Two of the seven students wrote an identical paper.  I detailed the incident in
a letter to the dean.  He returned the letter with my spelling errors circled in red.  I misspelled
plagiarism.  This was before computers and spell check.

Since then I haven't felt like folks would be interested in what I have to say.




So, I can spell check these days.  Just don't correct my grammatical errors.



No comments:

Post a Comment